ROLE OF THE LAWYER IN A
REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION:
1. Receive instructions from lender and borrower.
2. Prepare all required documentation necessary for lender and Registry-Office.
3. Search title to property.
4. Search for executions / judgements outstanding against buyer /
seller / borrower / and spouses.
5. Given opinion on survey.
6. Give opinion on title.
7. Search for work orders / zoning.
8. Ensure taxes are paid and get a tax certificate.
9. Have borrowers execute documents and explain them to
10. Receive funds from the lender and place in a trust account.
11. Prepare cheques from trust account used to pay out seller,
mortgages, liens, etc.
12. Subsearch title again and search for executions again.
13. Register mortgage at the Registry Office.
14. On day of closing, ensure proper cessation / discharges are
15. Disburse funds.
16. Send reporting letters to borrower and lender.